Problems with the Windows Server Update Service – 0x8024400D

Problems with the Windows Server Update Service – 0x8024400D

I recently had an interesting phenomenon in a rather extensive environment. With a newly installed WSUS Server based on Windows Server 2016, some clients encountered errors “0x8024400D”. The clients were previously connected to an old WSUS on Windows Server 2008R2. Strange, there everything worked…

The usual attempts to reset the WSUS client, for example, brought no improvement. So I asked Google.

At first sight, the results did not really help. So a look into the log file: “C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log”. Under Server 2016 or Windows 10, you have to use the PowerShell here: “Get-WindowsUpdateLog”.

In this log I then found the clue:

2017-07-22 11:07:17:437 1060 1748 PT WARNING: SOAP Fault: 0x00012c

2017-07-22 11:07:17:437 1060 1748 PT WARNING: faultstring:Fault occurred

2017-07-22 11:07:17:437 1060 1748 PT WARNING: ErrorCode:InvalidParameters(7)

2017-07-22 11:07:17:437 1060 1748 PT WARNING: Message:parameters.OtherCachedUpdateIDs

The search for it led to the most interesting solutions, none of which worked in my case:

  • Reindexing the WSUS database
  • New Install WSUS
  • Get the latest updates for WSUS
  • Execute various commands on the client

So what’s the problem now? The newly installed WSUS had a large number of products and categories activated. This gave the clients a very extensive list of possible updates. And the IIS / WSUS was not able to do this.

Possible solutions: first, reject as many unneeded updates as possible. How to do this is described in a Config Manager blog article, by script and by console:

Alternatively, I have also written a WSUS Cleanup Script that can help you in such cases: “Cleanup Windows Server Update Services“.

But for those who prefer to do this manually and precisely, there is a work-a-round. This is not officially supported and should only be used temporarily:

In the directory “C:\Program Files\Update Services\WebServices\ClientWebService” you will find the file “Web.config

072517 1208 Problememit1 Problems with the Windows Server Update Service - 0x8024400D 2

Here there are parameters like “maxLocales”, “maxCachedUpdates” or “maxInstalledPrerequisites” which can lead to the error.

072517 1208 Problememit2 Problems with the Windows Server Update Service - 0x8024400D 4

After changing these values, restart the IIS and WSUS service, or simply restart the entire server. Allow the server some time for the IIS. If after restarting the server an error 0x80244010 shows up on the clients, that’s not bad. This error “WU_E_PT_EXCEEDED_MAX_SERVER_TRIPS” just says that there were too many updates for the client in the first round. That means the client just needs several searches until it has everything.

This article first appeared on in German.

This article is a translation of the article “Probleme mit dem Windows Server Update Service – 0x8024400D” (Published – 2017-07-26). Links may refer to other articles, these may also be available in English language.

Fabian Niesen has been working as an IT consultant for years. Here he writes privately and independently of his employer. Among others he is certified as MCSA Windows Server 2008 / 2012, MCSA Office 365, MCSA Windows 10, MCSE Messaging, MCT and Novell Certified Linux Administrator. Since 2016 he is also MCT Regional Lead for Germany. His hobbies are social media, blogging, medieval markets, historical songs and house building.